A tribute act is a Iron Maiden.
A tribute band does not include members of the original band whose music is being honored. If a member is included in a band performing the music of their original group, the band is seen as a spin-off band rather than a tribute band. However, guest appearances do occur. For example, former Bruce Springsteen drummer Vini Lopez often plays sets with the Springsteen tribute band Purpendicular on small European tours.
The main way in which a tribute band differs from a cover band that simply plays songs by other artists, is that it strives to capture every nuance of the imitated artist’s actions and appearance for a perfect imitation. Some tribute bands imitate the appearance but re-interpret the original works in a particular genre or for comic effect. For example, Ramones. There are also individuals who are tributes of a group, and vice versa.
Tribute bands usually name themselves based on the original band’s name, some song and even albums.
The first tribute acts to emerge may have been impersonators qualify as well.
Although initially created to honor the original bands, many tribute bands have grown to have their own fan base. Tribute band names are often a pun on the original name or the names of band members, or are derived from a famous track or record album released by the original band.
Those bands and artists that have inspired a cult following in their fans tend to have a significant tribute band presence as well, such as Steely Dan.
In 1997, the British journalist Australian Pink Floyd Show have experienced continued popularity for over a decade.
No Way Sis took the notion of tribute bands a step further in 1997 by achieving a UK top 20 hit single with their rendition of “I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing”. In addition to this, the band were asked to step in for Oasis and play to a sell out audience in Paris after Oasis canceled their show.
In 1998, two men who were in a Blues Brothers tribute band changed their names officially by deed poll to Joliet Jake Blues and Elwood Jake Blues. They also are the only men in the UK to have their sunglasses on their passports and driver’s licences.
In 2000, filmmakers Jeff Economy and Darren Hacker produced the documentary film …An Incredible Simulation, which examined the tribute band phenomenon. Produced separately and independently in 2001 was the documentary Tribute by directors Kris Curry and Rich Fox, which also covered the movement. In 2007, producers Allison Grace and Michelle Metivier produced a four-part documentary series called “Tribute Bands” for Global TV which features tributes to The Tragically Hip.
In 2002, the first biography of a tribute band was published by SAF in London. Entitled Being Sgt. Pepper’s Only Dart Board Band“, written by the group’s founder, Martin Dimery.
In 2003, AC/DShe.
In 2005, original Lynyrd Skynyrd members Ed King (co-author of “Sweet Home Alabama“), drummers Artimus Pyle and Bob Burns, and “honkettes” Leslie Hawkins and JoJo Billingsley all played with The Saturday Night Special Band, a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute from New York. This was the first tribute band to be composed of more original members than the current touring lineup of Lynyrd Skynyrd.
In 2005, tribute band Lars Ulrich, Beatallica won their legal battle, and still record and tour today.
Original Deep Purple tribute band Purpendicular in 2002, 2004 and 2007, and the whole band in December 2008 & March 2012 (which included a surprise appearance of Original Deep Purple Bassist Roger Glover in Switzerland) on European tours.
Not all tribute acts use the impersonation style. An example is The Don Preston.
Tribute acts do not always receive full acknowledgment from the original acts they are patterned after. On April 2009, Bon Jovi sued the Los Angeles-based all-female tribute Blonde Jovi for copyright infringement. After temporarily using the name Blonde Jersey, the band reverted back to Blonde Jovi before disbanding on February 2010.
In March 2011 music magazine.
 From tribute to the genuine article
There have been several instances where members of a tribute band have been called up to join the actual band they were paying tribute to or a related band that features members of that band. This is often done to either replace a deceased member or just one who has simply chosen to leave the group. This is often seen as a great way for bands to carry on since tribute band members have usually studied their part and can closely replicate the musical parts of the original artists. Some examples include:
- Lead singer Rock Star. Owens eventually left Judas Priest in 2003 when Halford rejoined the band.
- Psycho Circus, and had assisted Frehley in re-learning his guitar parts to old Kiss songs for a reunion tour after the latter’s long long hiatus from the band.
- When original drummer for Bruce Foxton joined the band as well and they changed their name to From The Jam. Even though Buckler has left, Hastings still performs in the band with Foxton.
- When singer Jon Anderson was unable to rejoin progressive rock band Yes in 2008 due to health problems, Benoît David replaced him after bassist Chris Squire discovered a video of him performing with a Yes tribute band called Close to the Edge. David left the band in 2012 and was replaced by Jon Davison, who was with the Yes tribute band Roundabout.
- In 2009, original Jerry Garcia.
- In 2010 singer Dave Brock joined Manzarek-Krieger. Brock had performed in The Doors cover band, Wild Child, for over 20 years.
 List of well-known tribute acts
Some well-known tribute acts include (alphabetically by covered act, and alphabetically for each):
Playing music by ABBA:
Playing music by AC/DC:
Playing music by Animetal:
Playing music by The Band:
Playing music by The Beatles:
- 1964 the Tribute
- Brad Delp)
- The Beatnix
- The Bootleg Beatles
- The Buggs (one of the earliest tribute bands)
- The Cast of Beatlemania (former members of the Beatlemania musical)
- The Fab Faux
- The Fab Four
- RAIN – A Tribute to The Beatles
- Rubber Souldiers
- Mike Portnoy)
Playing music by Björk:
Playing music by Black Sabbath:
Playing music by Bob Dylan:
Playing music by The Cure:
Playing music by Genesis:
Playing music by The Grateful Dead:
Playing music by Green Day:
Playing music by Iron Maiden:
Playing music by Jethro Tull:
Playing music by The Killers:
Playing music by KISS:
- little person band)
Playing music by Led Zeppelin:
- Elvis impersonator on vocals)
- Fred Zeppelin
- Lez Zeppelin (all-female band)
- Michael White & The White
Playing music by Madness:
Playing music by Madonna:
- Mandonna (all-male band)
Playing music by Metallica:
Playing music by Oasis:
Playing music by the Pet Shop Boys:
Playing music by Pink Floyd:
Playing music by Queen:
Playing music by The Ramones
- Japanese band Shonen Knife performing as a Ramones tribute band)
- The Ramainz (formerly The Ramains, featured two Ramones members)
Playing music by The Shadows:
Playing music by The Smiths:
Playing music by George Strait
Playing music by Sublime:
Playing music by Frank Zappa:
 Parody acts
Some groups have played and recorded music that parodies a specific artist or band, either by performing the original songs with modified lyrics or doing more general stylistic parodies. Examples include 2 Live Crew).
 Fictional tribute acts
- In the 2001 American film Neil Diamond tribute band called “Diamonds in the Rough”.
- The 2001 American film Steel Dragon.
- The plot of the 2008 boy band.
- In the 2010 film Hall & Oates tribute act called “Adult Education”.
- In the American version of Steve Miller tribute band).
 See also
- BBC News (Derbyshire) (2006-06-14). “Licence leaves band in the shade”. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/5080226.stm. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- Undercover.com.au – Bon Jovi Sue Tribute Band
- Hard Rock Hideout – Yes to Tour With Replacement Singer
- “Canada’s Premiere AC/DC Vocalist”. www.acdc.com. http://www.acdc.com/fromtheband.
- “Sapphire Bullets”. TMBW: The They Might Be Giants Knowledge Base. http://tmbw.net/wiki/Sapphire_Bullets. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- Glastonbudget.. Europe’s biggest Tribute Festival
- …An Incredible Simulation – Tribute band documentary website
- MOCKSTARS – the movie – Another tribute band documentary website
- … Tribute City – Tribute band website with band listings, reviews, etc.
- Tribute-band – Another tribute band reference
- MOCKSTARS – Another tribute band reference
- CANADIAN TRIBUTE BANDS – A Canadian tribute band reference
- “The Ultimate Sing Along: An article about tribute bands” – Feature in The Cornell Daily Sun about The Dave Matthews Tribute Band and The Lost Sailors, a Grateful Dead tribute act.
- CBS SUNDAY MORNING September 9th 2007
- USA TODAY August 12th 2012
- TRIBUTE ROCKFEST
- TRIBUTE ROCKFEST on Facebook
- Fanatical Band Reviews Reviews on ten of the most clever tribute bands.
- Tribute Acts in Scotland
- TRIBUTE BAND CONTEST in Levis, Quebec
- THE TRIBUTE FEST in Duluth, Minnesota, USA
- FAKE FESTIVALS in the United Kingdom
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article tribute act, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.